What’s it like for a black woman in a country whose nickname is Land of the Vanishing Blacks? This is the question on a black woman’s mind when she thinks about or plans on visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina. I had this same question when I was 22 and planning my journey to Buenos Aires. I was afraid to visit once I heard about the population’s lack of color. To no avail, I searched bookstores for memoirs and guides about the black experience in Buenos Aires. I immediately I began to have anxieties about issues ranging from how I would be received to how I would maintain my hair. Despite these fears, I got on the plane anyway.
To entertain myself and deal with the sometimes crazy adventures I experienced while living in Buenos Aires as a black woman, I wrote a blog entitled “Hola, Morocha: Black Girls Guide to Buenos Aires.” And this is the face from that blog…
The blog is no longer active and I have since compiled the stories from the blog into a book I am working very hard to get into your hands. It will be the ultimate companion book for any black woman moving to or visiting Buenos Aires for the first time; it’s also a book for women who are thirsting to read more travel memoirs by women of color. And it’s written with love from yours truly: La Morocha, the black girl Buenos Aires expert! The book is titled “ Hola, Morocha: Black Girl’s Guide to Buenos Aires,” and is a travel narrative/travel guide hybrid. Hola, Morocha is written in the conversational tone of a best friend; it’s kind of like walking around with your best friend in your purse or eBook reader— a companion to make your journey less daunting.
After reading my memoirs (which feature hot Argentine men ;0) ) and tips in the guide book (which include all the info you need to conquer the crazy Buenos Aires transportation system and how to deal with the lack of black hair care specialists and supplies in the city) you will feel like you’ve lived in Buenos Aires before your feet touches Argentine soil! The book is forthcoming and not quite ready yet, but if you’re itching for a Buenos Aires fix now—have no fear! You’ve come to the right page! Below you will find all the Buenos Aires goodies I have to offer.
Want A Sneak Peek of Hola, Morocha!?Check out an exclusive excerpt of the first 40 pages! Hola,Morocha Black Girl’s Guide to Buenos Aires Excerpt(1)
Still Want More?
Here is a chocolaty list of some of my writings and blog posts about Buenos Aires! I will continue to compile all my Buenos Aires blog post on this page for your convenience.
1. 5 Ways to Combat Feeling Low in Buenos Aires - Blog Post
2. Buenos Aires: The New Artist Oasis- Blog Post
4. Throwback Tuesday: Photos from Buenos Aires- Blog Post
5. Buenos Aires Mastercard Commercial- Blog Post
6. We Found Love in a Hopeless Place: Buenos Aires- Blog Post
8. Cute Video from Buenos Aires- Blog Post
11. The Art of Traveling With Agoraphobia- Blog Post
12. Tragic Bus Crash in Buenos Aires- Blog Post
13. Broken Pieces/ Buenos Aires: The New Cure for Heartbreak – Travel story for Zaji travel magazine
14. B is for Buenos Aires: My Top Five Argentine Slang Words- Blog Post
16. A Quick Guide to Buenos Aires – Blog Post
17. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 1: The Morocha Returns – Blog Post
18. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 2: Upheaval – Blog Post
19. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 3: Onwards and Upwards – Blog Post
20. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 4: I Met a Girl Named Wendy – Blog Post
21. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 5: An Unexpected Pub Crawl- Blog Post
22. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 6: The First Spark- Blog Post
23. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 7: The New Morocha- Blog Post
24. The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 8: Me Reflected in You- Blog Post
25. Imported Chocolate: By Way of Poe & Argentina – Profile Piece in Mount Messenger College Campus Newspaper