W hat’s it like for a black woman in a country whose nickname is Land of the Vanishing Blacks? This is the question on a black woman’s mind when she thinks about or plans on visiting Buenos Aires, Argentina. I had this same question when I was 22 and planning my journey to Buenos Aires. I was afraid to visit once I heard about the population’s lack of color. To no avail, I searched bookstores for memoirs and guides about the black experience in Buenos Aires. I immediately I began to have anxieties about issues ranging from how I would be received to how I would maintain my hair. Despite these fears, I got on the plane anyway.
To entertain myself and deal with the sometimes crazy adventures I experienced while living in Buenos Aires as a black woman, I wrote a blog entitled “Hola, Morocha: Black Girls Guide to Buenos Aires.”
The blog is no longer active and I have since compiled the stories from the blog into a book I am working very hard to get into your hands. It will be the ultimate companion book for any black woman moving to or visiting Buenos Aires for the first time; it’s also a book for women who are thirsting to read more travel memoirs by women of color. And it’s written with love from yours truly: La Morocha, the black girl Buenos Aires expert! The book is titled “ Hola, Morocha: Black Girl’s Guide to Buenos Aires,” and is a travel narrative/travel guide hybrid. Hola, Morocha is written in the conversational tone of a best friend; it’s kind of like walking around with your best friend in your purse or eBook reader— a companion to make your journey less daunting.
After reading my memoirs (which feature hot Argentine men ;0)) you will feel like you’ve lived in Buenos Aires before your feet touches Argentine soil! The book is forthcoming and not quite ready yet, but if you’re itching for a Buenos Aires fix now—have no fear! You’ve come to the right page! Below you will find all the Buenos Aires goodies I have to offer.
Want A Sneak Peek of Hola, Morocha!?
Check out an exclusive excerpt of the first 40 pages! I’ve removed the 40 page excerpt because I have re-written a majority of Hola, Morocha! And will be releasing book 1 in winter 2017! Stay tuned!
Still Want More?
Here is a chocolaty list of some of my writings and blog posts about Buenos Aires! I will continue to compile all my Buenos Aires blog post on this page for your convenience.
- 5 Ways to Combat Feeling Low in Buenos Aires – Blog Post
- Buenos Aires: The New Artist Oasis– Blog Post
- Where Have All the Black Folks Gone: Argentina Land of Vanishing Blacks Revisited– Blog Post
- Throwback Tuesday: Photos from Buenos Aires– Blog Post
- Buenos Aires Mastercard Commercial– Blog Post
- We Found Love in a Hopeless Place: Buenos Aires– Blog Post
- Imported Chocolate Finds: La Apuesta an Awesome Buenos Aires Web Series– Blog Post
- Cute Video from Buenos Aires– Blog Post
- Hola, Morocha: Black Girl’s Guide to Buenos Aires Playlist– Blog Post
- Imported Chocolate Finds: Emily Haines of Metric Band in Buenos Aires– Blog Post
- The Art of Traveling With Agoraphobia– Blog Post
- Tragic Bus Crash in Buenos Aires– Blog Post
- Broken Pieces/ Buenos Aires: The New Cure for Heartbreak – Travel story for Zaji travel magazine
- B is for Buenos Aires: My Top Five Argentine Slang Words– Blog Post
- Chocolate Service Announcement: Additional Fees for Us Citizens Traveling to Argentina– Blog Post
- A Quick Guide to Buenos Aires – Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 1: The Morocha Returns – Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 2: Upheaval – Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 3: Onwards and Upwards – Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 4: I Met a Girl Named Wendy – Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 5: An Unexpected Pub Crawl– Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 6: The First Spark– Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 7: The New Morocha– Blog Post
- The Return to Buenos Aires Pt 8: Me Reflected in You– Blog Post
- Imported Chocolate: By Way of Poe & Argentina – Profile Piece in Mount Messenger College Campus Newspaper