3 Chic Hairstyles for Black Women Traveling Abroad

Kinky Curly Box Braids

Kinky Curly Box Braids

I don’t have to tell you how important hair is to black women. It doesn’t matter what’s going on in our lives, all is not well if our hair is not right. And when we travel abroad, it’s of the utmost importance for our hair to be in top shape. We like to look cute and we like to attract the locals. All that being said, it’s still important for us to have a good time. We don’t want to ruin our vacation, or long term trips abroad, by worrying and fussing over our hair. Hair can also be an issue if we’re traveling to a destination where black hair care or products doesn’t exist. We don’t like too many hairstylists playing in our hair either. In short, our hair is our pride and joy. Below you will find three of the most convenient ways a black woman can wear her hair abroad.

1. Box Braids

Braids are the go to hairstyle when traveling abroad. It’s the black woman’s staple style—the default. What I love about box braids is that you can rock them in so many ways. My preferred type is kinky curly:

Kinky Curly Box Braids

Kinky Curly Box Braids

These box braids blend with natural hair exceptionally well; and because it’s so curly, the style lasts longer when the hair starts to grow out from the scalp. I used Milky Way Que Human Hair Braid MasterMix – Water Bulk to achieve this look.

Milky Way Que Human Hair Braid MasterMix .

Milky Way Que Human Hair Braid MasterMix .

The hair is $17.99 a pack at its shortest and comes in three lengths: 14 inches, 16 inches and 18 inches. You can purchase it here.

2. Crochet Braids

I discovered Crochet braids a year ago and boy are they a god send! Not only are they one of the best protective hairstyles, in my opinion, but also one of the most affordable too! I’ll just leave this here:

You can wear crochet braids with straight hair too! I love the way this Youtuber does hers. She uses Kanekalon hair, which is super cheap to buy!

For a live tutorial check this one out:

And here is a great way you can clean your scalp without ruining your crochet braids:

Here is a great product review:

3. Go Natural

Three years natural!!!

Three years natural!!! And I didn’t have to do the big chop!

If you rock your natural hair abroad, you won’t have to worry about finding someone to do your hair since you will be doing it yourself. As long as you pack all your favorite styling products or have them shipped, you’ll be sitting pretty. Natural hair takes more maintenance but in the end it’s 100% worth it.

I hope these styles work for you.

1. Krista says:

So happy to find your website and hairstyle ideas. I’ve traveled quite a bit, but never for as long as the 4 months I will spend in Thailand soon.

Happy travels…x

• Jennifer says:

Hey Krista!
      Thanks for stopping by the blog! I’m glad it was helpful for you. Enjoy your stay in Thailand! Happy Travels!

Don’t forget to like the Imported Chocolate Facebook fan page! :)

2. Junia says:

Hi! I’ve recently gone natural and I’m going to rural Nicaragua in 2 weeks for 3 months (& probably the rest of Central America for another 2 months) for some work that’s going to mean I’m totally unable to stick to my usual regime. I was going to just for the regular ol’ single plaits but now I’ve seen how great box braids are, I am definitely on those!
    But how long would you say they last for? I MAY be able to get my hair re-done at the end of the first 3 months but I doubt it. And could you possibly give some tips on how to maintain these braids at all?

P.S. Great website you’ve made here!

• Jennifer says:

Hi Junia!

The longevity of box braids depends on two things:

1. How tight your stylist braids
      2. How fast your hair grows.

My hair grows really fast so my braids only last 4-6 weeks, but I know some women who keep their braids in for up to two months. When you get the style done, I recommend asking for the braids to be braided not too tight but not too loose; if they’re braided to loose your hair will grow out even faster.

I also recommend putting your braids in a bun or pony tail at night and tying your head with a silk scarf. Wash your scalp every two weeks and keep scalp and hair moisturized. Here are some Youtube videos about maintaining box braids. Hope this helped! :0)

3. chel says:

What are your suggestions for maintaing relaxer hair?

• Jennifer says:

The best way, and maybe only way, to maintain relaxed hair while traveling is to find a good hairstylist—in the country you are traveling to—who can do your touch ups. If you do your relaxers yourself, you will have to ship a good supply to yourself if your favorite brand of relaxer is not available in your new home country.